Chronicling/An ongoing series highlighting University of Pittsburgh history

Issue Date: 
October 1, 2007


October 1957—Pitt acquires Salk Hall, then known as the Municipal Hospital, from the City of Pittsburgh for $1.3 million. (Local foundations provided the funding.) Initially, the building’s upper floors serve as a residence for students. But in 1961-62, with funding from a state grant, the University renovates Salk Hall to house the dentistry and pharmacy schools.
Between 1949 and 1954, The Pitt research team assembled by Jonas Salk developed its triumphant polio vaccine in the basement of the Municipal Hospital.